Sunday 13 February 2011

Production Log- Week Two

I have learnt that in the British Social Realist genre that the codes and conventions of the genre are very important in relation to the target audience. Most social films have themes and codes like people being victims of violence and living in poverty or themes and codes similar so that their films can stay popular to their target audience. The target audience seem to enjoy things that are in line with what they're going through in current society or things that they hear of but don't neccersarily experience themselves e.g homosexuality,racism, addiction,gangcrime. Conventions that make an opening scene of British Social Realism appeal to it's target audience are the music,sound,editing,locations/story setting, character stereotypes and narrtative. British Social Realism films seem to start from the very beginning setting a very realistic tone and try to give the audience an idea of what the characters and locations are like in as short amount of time as possible.

This has informed my production now because I now know of the things that I should include in my opening that will appeal to my audience. This has informed of narrative structures I can use to appeal to my target audience in addition to knowing that perhaps I should limit my use of foley sound as most British Social Realist films try to avoid foley sound. I now feel after this research that I feel comfortable that in my production i will now be able to use the right conventions and themes that would appeal to my target audience.

Texts that I found particularly influential were "Harry Brown"," Bullet Boy"," Bronson" and "Trainspotting". I found these films interesting because they all focus on similar and different aspects of British Social Realist themes like gang crime,gun crime,prison life and drug addiction although all the films have similar themes and conventions they each show the themes and conventions in their own unique way, which has influenced me by challenging me to take a theme and try and show it in a distinct way unfamiliar to any other films that have tried to do it.

I will conform to certain conventions of the British Social Realist genre such as focusing primarily on peopel in bad situations like those of the characters in "Harry Brown", "Bullet Boy" and "Trainspotting". However I would also like to subvert from the typical conventions and try to take an approach that is not typical of a British Social Realist film, for example I would like to show people in bad situations, for example say a person suffering from a drug addiciton which is rather typical of a British Social Realist film but take a slightly more unique approach and have the character be a person of higher social class and allow the audience to go on a journey with this character as we see what problems they encounter as they tackle their addiction while being of higher society and how this affects their status and reputation.

No comments:

Post a Comment