Tuesday 15 February 2011

Production Log- Week 3

four-lions-poster-01.jpgThis week i have learnt about narrative structures such as linear and non-linear narrative structures.  Linear narrative structures are very common in British Social Realist films because they show what's happening on screen as it occurs and is a more realist narrative approach. Non-linear narrative structures are often uncommon in British Social Realist films because they don't show the events as they occur and are sometimes shown out of context which can be confusing for the audience, they also require more focus on the audiences part. An example of a film with a linear narrative structure is "Four Lions" while Christopher Nolans "Memento" has a non-linear narrative structure.

A device used in narrative structure is a coda which is used by filmmakers to give extra information about a film. Codas can be found before a film starts or after the credits of a film. They can often give back story key or supporting characters if put before the film starts and when put after the credits of a film they tend to explain what has happened to a character. Another device we saw was flashbacks which are often used to show characters past or past events that have affected the story, this device allows backstory for the film to be built up. The flashback device was used in the film "Chariots Of Fire" to open the film.



This task has helped inform my production because I am now taking into account the style of narrative and if I may use a coda in my production. I now know what will appeal more to my target audience and how I can challenge my audience with an interesting and innovative viewing experience.

In my own production I may use a non-linear narrative structure because I can use flashbacks to further develop the characters by showing their past. Another idea that I find interesting is the idea that perhaps I can use a linear narrative structure to the extreme, I could do the film entirely in real time which could grab the audiences attention and  their focus like it would if it was non-linear while still being easy to follow because it all occurs in the correct order.

No comments:

Post a Comment