Monday 9 May 2011

Evalutation-PART 8

In my preliminary exercise I felt good parts of my work were;

  • The use of music throughout the piece which makes certain scenes calm and relaxed while other scenes more energetic and fast paced.




  • The smoothness of the camera movement in the present dialogue scenes worked really well while the flashbacks give more energy and adrenaline with the speed of the pans and match on action.




  • The use of pop culture and video game references/sound effects I think played well with the flashbacks and hopefully allowed certain audience members to connote that in our hero's flashbacks he imagines those noises as a way of inputting parts of his subconscious for example: he felt his stair fall was like a "Street Fighter" K.O. (Yes a very deep meaning behind what people may see as a few cheap gags.)




  • The use of the 180 degree rule.




  • The chase scene (,although short,) i felt gave a quick energy bump in the story.




  • In addition to these points that I had previously made now looking back I think that our organisation was very good because we were able to film all of our scenes that we had wanted to film and we had enough time to spare that we were able to re film segments of the piece with ease, not feeling stressed that we didn't have time to finish. I think the editing was very good because the piece flowed well and didn't feel like there were any drastic cuts. I also think we used our equipment well and creatively with our long tracking shot of our actor.

    The less successful aspects of that exercise I would say were the acting which I felt let the piece down  and limited us to being able to show the characters exchanging dialogue. The sound also let the scene down but it did allow us to give the piece some more creativity by replacing certain parts with video game sound effects and other pop culture references.

    I improved on the areas of acting by during the casting process, getting actors who were like their characters and either had experience in acting or had experiences in what the characters are supposed to do such as boxing, refereeing. I believe that putting greater interest and effort in the casting gave more believable acting and added realism to the entire piece especially with the dialogue scenes. In my British Social Realist film I believe that my editing had been improved drastically creatively but had fallen flat on the execution, for example I used much more interesting editing techniques but they were not done to the standard that they should have or could have been done to. Due to my knowledge of my technology (like the mini DV camera) I was able to film scenes at a faster rate and to a better standard then I had once been able to, for instance the long tracking shot in "The Register" was not as steady and took longer to film than the long tracking shot in "Queen Khan".  I also found that during the filming of the end of my opening when the music begins to play due to the fact I had already had experience editing footage to music I was able to edit at a nice fast speed that was much quicker than I would have been able to when doing "The Register", also I didn't have to go out and re film shots for the scenes with music because I had learnt to film more footage than I might need because there may come a point when my original footage doesn't last long enough.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment